Michelle Tsai Gomez's CPT Project 2019
This past summer in 2019 I worked at Flashstarts Inc, a micro-VC startup accelerator, through the Summer on the Cuyahoga program in Cleveland, Ohio. Throughout the 11 week long program with Flashstarts, the interns were involved with a total of 12 startup companies; alongside these startups the interns would work with them to assist in advancing with their products. During the Spring 2019 semester I found the Summer on the Cuyahoga application page through Smith, and weeks after applying and interviewing I received an offer.
As I worked with multiple startup companies throughout the internship, there were many projects that I was involved with. The top projects that I believe were the most rewarding were:
- We Can Code It
- Within the learning process I created a 3-part video series as tutorials for coding in these languages.
- Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3npxAF2jrg
- Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rwmkw3PcRfI
- Part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVNplti3pro&t=16s
- I had to setup their WordPress website from scratch by myself.
- I assisted with translating MATLAB code into Java for their motion capture clothing.
- I improved the customer page’s form to enhance efficiency and the user’s experience.
I consider this past summer to have been a wonderful learning experience. Considering the fact that I had the privilege of working with multiple companies at a time, there were many different kinds of languages and platforms that I got exposed to. Thanks to the Summer on the Cuyahoga program I was able to not only gain enriching work experience, but also explore the city in which it took part in. The Smith Cleveland club was incredibly welcoming and I will always be thankful for their help in making the whole experience so much better with both enjoying my time there and expanding my contacts and future possibilities.