231a-af Project Proposal
Arduino Project Proposal
My project is to use a light sensitive resistor with the Arduino to sense how long you have been in front of the computer. It will give you warnings if you remain in front of the computer for too long, and will welcome you back when you return. After one hour in front of the computer, you should take a 15 minute break.
Computer Eye Strain (source).
More than 50 percent of computer users experience eyestrain, headaches, blurred vision and other visual symptoms related to sustained use of the computer. This type of stress on the visual system can also cause body fatigue and reduced efficiency at work. In addition, there are now indications that heavy computer users are at risk for glaucoma.
Many computer users experience visual stress due to: 1) an increase in the number and complexity of necessary eye movements and focusing skills, 2) poor lighting conditions, glare and distracting reflections, 3) screen flicker rate, and 4) above all, the extended amount of computer use.
- Direct Computer Stress Symptoms
- headaches while doing or following computer use
- irritated and/or dry eyes
- blurred vision
- slow refocusing when looking from screen to distance objects
- frequently losing place when moving eyes between copy and the screen
- difficulty seeing clearly at a distance after prolonged computer use
- occasional doubling of vision
- changes in color perception
- changes in glasses prescription
- Other Computer Stress Symptoms
- neck or shoulder tension and pain
- back pain
- pain in arms, wrists, or shoulders when working on the computer
- lowered visual efficiency and more frequent errors
- GP2Y0A21YK is an IR sensor from Sharp. This sensor takes a continuous distance reading and returns a corresponding analog voltage with a range of 10cm (4") to 80cm (30"). The sensor package includes a JST 3-pin connector, three pre-crimped wires, and a booklet with detailed information and examples.
- First Warning: 15 minutes before your allotted hour is up, a message will print to console reminding you of the time constraint.
- Second Warning: 5 minutes before your allotted hour is up, a message will print to console reminding you of the time constraint.
- Third Warning: 0x07 will cause the console to beep once you have hit the allotted one hour.
- Fourth Warning: After 5 minutes, the console will begin beeping continuously until you leave.
- If the Arduino senses that you have returned before spending 15 minutes away from the computer, console will begin beeping until you leave again.
- When the Arduino senses that you have returned after spending 15 minutes away from the computer, a message will print to console welcoming you back, and letting you know how much time you spent away from the computer.
- When you exit the program, a message will print to console telling you the statistics of how long you spent at the computer versus how long you spent away from the computer.
Price: $9.95 from sparkfun.com