103b-as PC Lab
PC Demolition Lab
Team member: Ella Maxey
February 7, 2011
MODEL NUMBER: Dell L305p-00
- Central Processing Unit (CPU)
- Random Access Memory (RAM)
- Power supply
- Hard Disk
- Optical Drive (DVD, CD)
Steps to the lab
- Take off cover by pulling out the latch on the top and remove.
- Locate Processor and remove. First remove the cooling system over it by taking out the screws. Then flip up the metal latch and pull the CPU out of its metal case.
- Locate RAM on the mother board and remove by simply pulling out of its slots.
- Locate DVD player.
- Locate power supply and determine watts of power it can out put.
- Locate hard disk and remove by squeezing the plastic clasps and pulling out.
- Determine what is inside the hard disk by pulling off the plastic cover
- Locate motherboard and remove by removing all of the screws and unhooking all attached wires.
- Locate crystal on the motherboard and determine what it is for.
- Locate battery on the motherboard and determine what it is used for.
- Reassemble the computer!!
^ Ella and I next to our reassembled computer :)
Challenges, Surprises, and Discoveries - Conclusion
We found it really difficult to remove the motherboard, because some of the screws were hard to reach. Also, there were some screws that were set more firmly into the case. It was difficult to remove some pieces because of their locations as well, but we managed with strength and a screwdriver. I was surprised to see everything laid out as plainly as it was, and that the motherboard was right there - I had thought that the computer was a more complexly-built machine than it apparently is!! I really enjoyed this lab.